Walk-in vaccination sites across Birmingham and the wider West Midlands are opening this weekend in a drive to have people jabbed as Covid-19 cases continue to rise.
NHS England chief executive Sir Simon Stevens claimed the country was in a “race to the finish line” in its vaccination programme as summer freedoms loom.
The “grab a jab” campaign comes as the UK recorded a further 15,810 lab-confirmed Covid-19 cases as of 9am on Friday – up 50 per cent on the 10,476 new cases reported a week earlier.
Any adult in England will be able to be vaccinated this weekend without an appointment at hundreds of walk-in Covid-19 vaccination sites including sports stadiums, theatres, supermarket car parks and shopping centres.
Alison Tonge, the NHS England and NHS Improvement director responsible for overseeing the vaccination programme across the Midlands, said: “I would urge everyone who has yet to have a first dose or second dose of the life-saving Covid-19 vaccine to pop along to one of the many participating walk-in clinics taking place across the West Midlands this weekend.
“We are confident that people can find a date and location to suit everyone and many clinics are open this weekend from 8am-9pm. You can also book a jab at www.nhs.uk/covid-vaccination.
“As the largest-ever NHS vaccination programme continues, these walk-in sites are key to ensuring that no-one is left behind for any reason.
“We know that getting both doses is vital to maximising the protection that the vaccine offers, so please come forward for both jabs, and follow the tens of millions who have already got themselves this essential protection from Covid-19.”
The West Midlands walk-in sites open this weekend are as follows:
Birmingham and Solihull
• Aston Villa Football Club, Aston
• Edbgaston Cricket Ground Edgbaston B5 7QU
• Millennium Point, Birmingham
• Richmond Primary Care Centre, Bordsley Green East
Black Country and West Birmingham
• Aldersley Leisure Village Vaccination Centre, Wolverhampton
• City Hospital – Cardiac Rehab Gym, West Birmingham
• Saddlers Vaccination Centre, Walsall
• Tipton Sports Academy, Tipton
• Vaccination bus at Dudley Moore Street Centre Car Park, Brierley Hill
• Vaccination Bus at Wolverhampton East Park, Wolverhampton
Coventry and Warwickshire
• Aldermoor Life Centre, Coventry
• Bedworth Civic Hall, Bedworth
• Coventry Transport Museum, Coventry
• Lisle Court Medical Centre, Leamington Spa
• Stoneleigh Park, Stoneleigh
Some 75,963,777 jabs have been given in the UK up to June 24, of which 43,877,861 were first doses.
The Government has set a target of July 19 for offering a first dose to all adults – the date when the final stage of lockdown easing is scheduled to go ahead.
Need Your Help Today. Your $1 can change life.