Johnny Rotten has hit out over a recent High Court ruling between himself and his former bandmates. The Sex Pistols star is against an upcoming series about the band, set to be directed by Danny Boyle.
Johnny Rotten has given his opinion on a “dumbfounding” High Court ruling over the use of Sex Pistols music in an upcoming new series.
The star, real name John Lydon, lost a legal battle against his one-time bandmates on August 23 after refusing to license the group’s music for inclusion in Danny Boyle’s upcoming biopic series about the group.
The 65-year-old was sued by the band’s guitarist Steve Jones and drummer Paul Cook in order to allow their much-loved music to feature in the TV drama Pistol, set to be overseen by Slumdog Millionaire director Danny.
Being produced by Disney, the six-part series is based on a 2016 memoir by Sex Pistols star Steve titled Lonely Boy: Tales From A Sex Pistol and is due to air in 2022.
Last week, Judge Sir Anthony Mann found ruled against lead singer John in his bid to prevent his former colleagues using Sex Pistols material in the highly anticipated series, invoking “majority voting rules” against the frontman.
The Sex Pistols were an English punk rock band that formed in London in 1975, considered to have led the punk movement in the United Kingdom.
Fronted by singer and songwriter John, the group enjoyed huge success in the late seventies – as well as during various revivals in the 1990s and 2000s.
On Tuesday, John released a statement that criticised the judge’s ruling in the recent court case between him and his former bandmates.
“I am the lead singer and songwriter, front man, image, the lot, you name it. I put it there,” the rocker began his statement.
“How is that not relevant? It is dumbfounding to me. It is so destructive to what the band is and so I fear that the whole project might be extremely negative.
“How can anyone think that this can proceed without consulting me and deal with my personal life in this, and my issues in this, without any meaningful contact with me before the project is announced to the world?
“I don’t think there are even words that I can put forward to explain quite how disingenuous this is.
“As I said in the lyrics of The Order Of Death: this is what you want, this is what you get.”
The I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! star previously told the Sunday Times that he believed the planned series to be “most disrespectful s*** I’ve ever had to endure”.
While the God Save the Queen singer may not be impressed with the recent court verdict, Sex Pistols stars Steve and Paul are pleased with the outcome of the High Court ruling.
The pair released a joint statement to the PA news agency after the news of the judgement was made public.
“We welcome the court’s ruling in this case,” the musicians said.
“It brings clarity to our decision-making and upholds the band members’ agreement on collective decision-making.
“It has not been a pleasant experience, but we believe it was necessary to allow us to move forward and hopefully work together in the future with better relations.”