News

Hunt for Bunnings shopper who spat on another customer because he wasn’t wearing mask

Hunt for disgusting Bunnings shopper who SPAT on another customer because he wasn’t wearing a face mask

  • Argument at a Bunnings store led to a man being spat on for not wearing a mask 
  • NSW Deputy Police Commissioner said cops were reviewing CCTV footage  
  • Incident was revealed as NSW recorded another 38 Covid cases on Thursday 

A Bunnings customer was spat on by another shopper during an argument about wearing a face mask inside the store.

Police are scouring CCTV from the Sydney hardware store to find the ‘disgusting’ attacker.

NSW Deputy Police Commissioner Gary Worboys said a 51-year-old man was being harassed for not adhering to public health orders.

‘The man who was doing the chastising decided to spit at that man,’ he told reporters on Thursday morning. 

Police are hunting a man who spat on a Bunnings shopper for not wearing a face mask (file image) 

‘That behaviour is just disgusting… [If] people have an issue that they cannot resolve with some cordial communication… [at] these retail settings, they should ring the police,’ he said.

Officers were reviewing security footage at the store and asked anyone who might have witnessed the incident or have information to contact police. 

‘There is no room [for] what is a criminal act, to go and spit at a person because you don’t like the answer that you got in terms of a face mask issue’.

Deputy Commissioner Worboys also specifically mentioned another separate incident in which a man travelled out of Sydney to meet up with someone he had been chatting to online.  

He revealed police had stopped the man and when he told them that was his sole reason for travelling he was issued with a fine. 

‘Police deemed that not to be a reasonable excuse, he was issued with an infringement notice and sent back to greater Sydney.’

NSW has recorded 38 new local Covid-19 cases, including 20 people who were in the community for part or all of their infectious period.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said on Thursday those numbers were ‘too high’.

‘We need to get those numbers down.’

‘I want to say in the most, strongest possible terms, please avoid contact with households with other households, please avoid visiting family and friends.’

‘The strongest message is do not visit people outside your household in indoor settings,’ she said.

The 38 new cases recorded in the 24 hours to 8pm on Thursday from nearly 40,000 tests is a jump from the previous day’s figure of 27.

NSW Health said 26 cases were linked to a known case or cluster – 13 are household contacts and 13 are close contacts – and the source of infection for 12 cases remained under investigation.

There have been 395 locally acquired cases reported since the latest outbreak began on June 16.

Ms Berejiklian (pictured) announced another 38 Covid cases in NSW on Thursday

Ms Berejiklian (pictured) announced another 38 Covid cases in NSW on Thursday 

Meanwhile, NSW teachers and senior students in Greater Sydney and surrounds will be required to wear masks when they return to school next term.

NSW Health also confirmed that a fifth aged care worker at SummitCare Baulkham Hills has come down with the virus, but was already isolating. Six residents to date have caught COVID-19.

Masks will be mandatory for all staff in all school settings, as well as students from Year 7 upwards when on-site learning resumes on July 19.

Education Minister Sarah Mitchell said the new COVID-safe rules would apply to schools inside areas impacted by the stay-at-home orders – Greater Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour.

In regional areas, masks will be recommended for all staff in all school settings as well as high school students.

Advertisement

Most Related Links :
Business News Governmental News Finance News

Source link

Back to top button